Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Silent Treatment

I seriously have to laugh. My husband and I were just discussing why I turned off the T.V. set. I said that I like the quiet. Then, I started to flip through the Prevention Magazine to see if there was any other articles I could share with you. While I was still "discussing" this with him, I turn a few pages and come upon this article. This is why I had to laugh. And yes, I did read it to him......

Article by: SE
____________________________________________________________________________________

Turning down the volume could save your life. Every day noises - ringing cell phones, growling trucks on your commute - may up your heart attack risk, suggests a new study. Greater noise exposure was linked to increased heart rate and decreased heart rate variability, tow risk factors for cardiac problems. "Any noise that causes stress leads to a surge in sympathetic nervous systam activity," says Seth Goldbarg, MD, an electrophysiologist at New York Hospital. "This spikes heart rate and constricts blood vessels." Protect yourself: 

Tune it out: White noise can reduce your sympathetic nervous system's response to minor but disruptive noises. Try the free White Noise Lite app for Android & iphone

Get Geared up: For louder noise, invest in sound-blocking gear, such as Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Hoise Cancelling Headphones ($300;bose.com), which "cancel" noise by producing a counteracting sound wave.

Take Deep Breaths: Dial down your body's response to racket by taking slow, deep breaths - each lasting 10 seconds- for 10 minutes at work or during a noisy commute.


No comments:

Post a Comment